Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 10, 2011

Iowa City Writer's Workshop

Well, most of you probably don't know this... but Iowa City (IOWA of all places) is the third city in the world for literature.  I know right?  So in my so awesome job (I'm a cashier at the University's parking ramps) I find out that there is the annual Writer's Workshop starting this weekend.  So I have all these resound authors going through my line (who you may ask?  I have no idea).  But, I'm sure they're all respected if they are here for the Workshop.

Seriously, go check it out. 

Anyway, so while talking to these people I find out that some of them are actually screenwriters on the side.  Some say that they are this and that and did this with that actor or director.  However, I soon find out that an author named Justin Cronin was in attendance and his trilogy The Passage is being made into some movies by Ridley Scott. 

Now something that you are about to learn about me:  I am a HUGE Ridley Scott fan.  I think he's really great not only in directing but choosing a wide range of genres and only chooses projects he thinks bests suits him.  There's some directors out there who I think do movies just for shits and giggles (can we say Rob Reiner's movie North after making This is Spinal Tap, Stand by Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally..., Misery, A Few Good Men, and Sleepless in Seattle?!?!)

So anyway... I just got home from a reading from Iowa City's semi-famous pub, "The Mill" and sat through readings of some of the alumni of the Workshop.  The first was by a woman who came through my line and I asked her what she liked to write.  She said poetry, and especially translating Russian poetry.  Cool, I thought.  So she read a women about her son who was born with autism.  At first I didn't get it, but my friend who joined me, Victoria, said that if I had personal and regular contact with someone with autism the poem would have made more sense.  So reflecting back on the poem, I thought it was very cool.

Another woman wrote about her challenges with MS which was very moving.  After that a man named Richard Cummings read.  However, I'm not sure on the name since I can't find him on the internet machine.  But, he wrote a very charming piece about going to school at the U in the 1960's... a time that I can't even imagine.  My favorite line from his story is "We found Dr. Yates (professor at the time) sitting in his regular booth at the Airliner (another notable bar in Iowa City) on the day of our final.  He said "There's no such things as fuckin' finals in life!  Sit down and let's drink it out together!"  I wish I had a professor who would say that to me. 

After that Victoria and I decided to leave mostly because we didn't want to stay out too late (we're getting a little old for that - she's 24, while I'm 25) but partially also because the guy sitting behind her was starting to creep us out. 

I'll make this last part quick.  On the subject of Ridley Scott, I forgot how weird yet satisfyingly primitive Blade Runner is.  I think the scene that best describes the whole movie is when Roy and Tyrell kiss but then Roy crushes his skull in his hands (still makes me go AAAHHHHH!!! on the inside).  Anyway, it's about loving and hating your creator at the same time.  Loving for what he made us but hating what he gave us.

And I also want to share the shirt I wore tonight for all the literary peoples to see. 






If you don't get it, you should really google it and read some of the stories ... IF YOU DARE!! (a la Are You Afraid of the Dark).  If you don't know what that is either, you should really google that ;)

Night night all! 

No comments: